On Saturday October 20th from 11am to 6pm and Sunday October 21st from 10am to 4pm, you can join Boston Organics at the 23rd annual Boston Veg Food Fest! The food fest will be held at the Reggie Lewis Athletic Center located at 1350 Tremont Street, Boston MA. This event is free, has free parking and is T accessible! Over 100 vegetarian, vegan and natural food vendors will be on site to answer all of your natural food questions, offer samples and introduce you to their products and services.
Spring is the season of seedlings, baby bunnies and all things new. Quite suitably, our local farm partners are harvesting lots of crisp, young vegetables for us this week.
Topics: Recipes, CSA, Local Dogma Box, Eat Local, deep root organic coop, boston organics, organic produce, Organic Cucumbers, Organic Grocery Delivery Boston, New England Local Fruits and Vegetables, Organic Sprouts, Vegetarian and Vegan Food, Original Boston Organics Blog
The Boston Organics Community is made up of vegans, vegetarians, pescetarian, omnivores, paleos, carnivores and everything in between, but we all agree that it’s important to fill our bodies with a balanced variety of fresh, high-quality organic food. That’s why we’re excited to continue to expand our add-on grocery selection, and in particular our Vegetarian and Non-Dairy section with plant-based proteins.
It’s about that time of year when we’re starting to salivate at the thought of eating our way through the holidays. In celebration of this annual benchmark, we’ve compiled a list of side dishes, some traditional, some a bit unorthodox, for you to try out as you create your menu or your contribution to the potluck.
Our Dogma Box includes organic fruits and vegetables sourced as close to Boston as possible throughout the year. Similar to a CSA or farm share, this box is filled with the best organic produce from local and regional farms each week.
Topics: produce delivery, Recipes, CSA, Happy Valley Organics, Jonathan's Organic, Local Dogma Box, deep root organic coop, boston organics, Atlas Farm, Organic Sprouts, organic produce, Organic Grocery Delivery Boston, New England Local Fruits and Vegetables, organic kale, Vegetarian and Vegan Food, Organic Herbs, Original Boston Organics Blog
Vegetarians and omnivores rejoice - organic tofu is now available as an add-on!
There's also an amazing variety of fresh organic fruits and vegetables going out in boxes this week including local blueberries from Dwight Miller Orchards, sweet corn from Lakeside Organics, and Red Russian Kale from Happy Valley Organics.
In this week's newsletter you'll learn about our new terrific tofu supplier, discover the difference between Italian and Asian eggplants, and see what's fresh and in season from our organic farm partners across New England!
Topics: produce delivery, CSA, Organic Eggplants, boston organics, Atlas Farm, organic produce, Newsletter, Organic Grocery Delivery Boston, New England Local Fruits and Vegetables, Local Dogma Box, summer produce, organic kale, Organic Non GMO Corn, Vegetarian and Vegan Food, Original Boston Organics Blog
Many folks wonder how vegetarians and vegans get enough protein in their diet, but there are plenty of plant-based sources of protein to choose from.
When you're indulging in a variety of veggies from day to day, you're most likely eating more protein than you realize.
Here are some tips for making the most of your produce deliveries:
By Sarah S.
With the weather cooling off, we’re craving hearty comfort foods here in the Boston Organics "Test Kitchen." As the winds bluster off the Charlestown waterfront and through Commerce Center, we’re sitting in the office dreaming of Shepherd’s Pie for tonight’s Meatless Monday dinner.
Inspired by true stories, BO’s very own Amy L. put her culinary skills to good use and recently made a vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie. Using a package of Amy’s veggie burgers (no relation to our Amy L.) and some of the veggies from her weekly box, Amy created this delicious dish. The recipe is included below.
If you don’t have any veggie burgers handy, lentils or mushrooms are also excellent sources of protein to use. The recipe is flexible and you should feel free to play around, using different items from your box. Let us know what you come up with!
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Garlic Collard Greens
For the Shepherd’s Pie:
- 1 lb. potatoes, Yukon Gold or other, cut into even pieces and boiled until fork tender
- Butter and milk
- 1 package of your favorite meat substitute, such as veggie burgers or meatless crumbles
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup carrot finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth
- Oil as needed
For the Collard Greens:
- 1 bunch of collard greens, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth.
Shepherd’s Pie Method:
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash with butter, milk salt and pepper. Should be creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Cook the veggie burgers in a sauté pan as you would ground beef, breaking it into bite size pieces with a wooden spatula. Remove ground veggie burger from pan and set aside.
- With a bit of oil, sauté onions, garlic and carrots and add water until beginning to soften. Add the ground veggie burger back into the pan with the vegetable mixture and turn down the heat. Add the corn, seasonings and flour to coat. Stir in the vegetable broth.
- When some of the liquid has been absorbed, transfer the vegetable filling into an oven-safe pan or ramekin. Cover with the mashed potatoes and bake in oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until mashed potatoes form a nice crust.
Collard Greens Method:
Saute the onions in a pan. Add the garlic and then the collard greens. Pour in the broth and cook down until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For more Meatless Monday recipe ideas, visit our blog and search 'meatless monday.' We always have our recipe database available for our customers to view. Read recipes by produce item on our website.