Here at Boston Organics, our team is always working to make our customers' experience better. Whether you're a vegetarian, an omnivore or something in between, you might find yourself asking what do I do with all these amazing vegetables?! We understand that pulling together a meal from your box of produce can be a challenge, and we are here to help.
Meatless Mondays are a way to show that vegetable-based meals are not only hearty, delicious and nutritious, but are also an environmentally responsible way to eat.
Did you know?
Americans eat about 9.7 ounces of meat a day (2018), which is nearly twice the global average. As the U.S. and world populations continue to grow and gain wealth so does the demand for more meat. Enormous amounts of grain and fuel used to feed and transport livestock are magnifying our carbon footprints. As consumers, there are small steps we can take to help reduce our impact.
Meatless Mondays offers ideas for vegetarian dinners to help you reduce your weekly meat consumption. This week’s featured recipe is for cauliflower tacos. We hope you enjoy!
1 head of cauliflower
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Habañero pepper, finely chopped
2-3 carrots, julienned
2 tomatoes, diced
Taco Seasoning: cumin, coriander, chili powder, chipotle, paprika, oregano, sugar, salt
Vegetable or sunflower oil
Whole wheat wraps
- Clean cauliflower and chop into even pieces.
- Place large skillet over high heat and sear cauliflower with some oil. Set aside.
NOTE: Do not use olive oil as it burns at high temperatures
- Before sautéing onions, allow pan to cool slightly so they caramelize and do not burn.
- Add the garlic, pepper and carrots. Season well and add the tomatoes. Allow to cook down, about 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower back to the pan, cover and continue to cook 10 more minutes.
- Serve with avocado slices, cheese and desired toppings.
For more information on the relationship between farming, fuel and the environment read this NY Times article.
If you have a vegetarian recipe that you would like to submit for Meatless Mondays, please email it to email@example.com Recipes should include ingredients found in a Boston Organics Vegetable Box.