This week's local fruits and veggies are coming in twos and threes. Two tomatoes, two red onions (one pound), two yellow or red bell peppers (plus one green) and three ears of corn. Also in the box, blueberries from Burke Hill Farm in Maine, McIntosh Apples from VT, eggplant, green leaf lettuce, and Massachusetts-grown potatoes.
With all of the recent hype about the benefits of organics in the media, know that you are making smart consumer decisions. The Dirty Dozen list released annually by the Environmental Working Group, notes the fruits and vegetables with the highest levels of pesticides and encourages many of the items found in this week's box to be sourced from organic farmers whenever possible. Bell peppers, potatoes, blueberries and apples are all in the top 12 most important produce to buy organic. We at Boston Organics are happy to provide consumers with organic produce that is safe to eat and grow and that is better for the environment.
This week’s Dogma Box includes:
- Corn –Lakeside Organics (Hadley, MA)
- Red Onions - Deep Root Organic Coop (Johnson, VT)
- Green Bell Peppers- Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- Eggplant- Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- Field Tomatoes - Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- Green Leaf Lettuce - Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- Potatoes - Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- Yellow and Red Bell Peppers - Atlas Farm(S. Deerfield, MA)
- McIntosh Apples - Dwight Miller & Son Orchards (E. Dummerston, VT)
- Blueberries- Burke Hill Farm (Cherryfield, ME)
The included recipes utilize many of the produce items that you’re receiving in this week’s Dogma Box. Our recipes are usually quite flexible and easily adaptable based on your pantry and your dietary needs. Feel free to get creative in the kitchen! If you come up with new ways to use some of our recipes and would like to share, post them on our Facebook or Tweet us.
What are you cooking this week? Feel free to share with us at any time! For more recipes, check out the Produce Info, Storage Tips and Recipes section on our website and browse recipes by item. Here you can find nutritional information, preparation tips, and recipes for each produce item we offer. Happy eating from your friends at Boston Organics!