Whether your chilcren are heading to school for the first time or returning after a fun-filled summer or even if it's your second semester of an MBA program, feeding yourself and your kids during the school day can be the difference between feeling energized and ready-to-learn or dull and dragging.
We've got quick, healthy snack and lunch ideas that are sure to stave of hunger while ensuring your body and brain might be capable of moving mountains!
No one functions well when h-angry: Including a few simple snacks with the lunches you pack can help everyone feel lively and eager to learn.
1. Veggies and Hummus –Baby carrots, red and green pepper strips, and broccoli make great dippers for hummus. Learn to make homemade hummus in 5 easy steps with our organic hummus kit.
2. Grapes - Grapes pack well in lunch bags and keep well without refrigeration for a few hours. Add grapes and other fresh produce items to your next Boston Organics delivery.
3. Dried Fruits- Apple rings, mango slices, and dried apricots can add some variety and be a nice change in from other fruit. They’re delicious, healthy, mess-free and travel well. We offer tasty organic fruit snacks without any preservatives, artificial flavors or chemicals. Try Annie's Fruit Snacks today.
4. Nuts – Nuts are an excellent source of protein and much-needed brain fuel. They're easy to eat, just grab and go! We have a wide variety of nuts and trail mixes available as add-ons.
5. Chocolate – Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and much healthier than cookies or other sugary treats. Dark chocolate is also considered a brain food, not to mention it’s a great treat! Grab some organic Fair Trade chocolate to add to your day!
Lunch is the break in the school day that so many children look forward to, and their primary meal. Between waiting in line in the cafeteria and the (often) less healthy options offered, packing a lunch is, for many, the best way to go.
1. Wraps – Cut down on the bread! Fill whole wheat wraps with meat, vegetables, and cheese of your choice for a healthier meal. Click here for great wrap ideas!
2. Whole Grain Pasta – Whole grains are a fantastic source of complex carbohydrates and a healthier option than white pasta. We offer white, whole wheat and gluten free organic pasta. Try any of Buzzfeed's 29 Delicious Whole Wheat Pasta Dishes!
3. Chicken Salads – Ditch the bread altogether and go for a salad! Healthy and filling, chicken salad can be made in so many ways by adding different fruits, veggies, nuts, and herbs. Here is a delicious Chicken Salad recipe for you to try at home!
4. Soups – Soups are an excellent one pot meal, and leftovers are great for lunch. Add some extra toppings to keep it interesting like yogurt, herbs, or crumbled crackers. Try this Classic Minestrone Soup recipe for lunch tomorrow!
5. Peanut Butter - what's handier than a jar of peanut butter?!? Make it local and organic with Teddie's All Natural, available both chunky and creamy. Great for sandwiches or wraps, in peanut sauce (dip), stuffed in celery, spread on apple slices.